Monday, February 4, 2013

The Next Step

Sometimes I worry about my future.  A whole lot.  I worry about whether I am headed in the right direction.  If I'm following my proper path.  I wonder if I will be happy with my decisions, or if I will regret them someday.  Stepping into the unknown is terrifying.  It's uncomfortable.  I am so blessed that I don't have to do it completely alone and completely blind.  And as it turns out, no one does.  

In Acts 16, Paul and other disciples were traveling and preaching.  One night, Paul had a vision that instructed him to travel to Macedonia.  

"And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us, for to preach the gospel unto them.  Therefore loosing from Troas, we came with a straight course to Samothracia, and the next day to Neapolis; And from thence to Philippi, which is the chief city of that part of Macedonia... and we were in that city abiding certain days" (Acts 16:10-12).    

The Lord told Paul where to go, but he did not tell him how to get there, or what to do once he arrived.  And although Paul responded immediately to God's instruction, God did not immediately respond to him.  "we were in that city abiding certain days."  The answer as to exactly why the Lord had called them there didn't arrive right away.  But it did arrive.

God doesn't always tell us exactly where to go or what to do.  But often, he gives us the next step.  And sometimes that step is a pretty big leap of faith.  But when we do as Paul did and immediately obey, we will only be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment